John and his team saved us from a mess
Penny - Avenue & Lawrence Mar 03, 2009
Ceiling, lighting, trims, painting we hired a design firm to design our 15 years old home. We wanted to turn it into a very modern house. We hired the first general contractor based on recommendation. They worked on the house for 12 weeks (originally planned for 6 weeks) before we moved into our dream home. They didn't/couldn't finish the job, took our money & shut down the contacting company. We had to move into our house even though there was holes in the walls and floor, exposed flooring and electrical. We quickly found a second general contractor to finish the work and again a great disappointment.
We waited for another 2 months before we found John and his team at Oborne Contracting through a very close friend. John and his team had just finished remodeling our friends' basement. We saw the work but we were still a bit unsure about his company because we went through two contactors and 6 months of hell by then and lots of broken promises.
John's team came in; they were very polite, very clean, very quick and quiet. John suggested that we do one room at a time, so we picked the family room/kitchen.
The team sealed the area from the rest of the house very professionally, quickly plastered the ceiling (it was a mess, very uneven, bumps everywhere from mistake made by previous contractors and lighting guys), the walls and corners (because our design was clean with no mouldings so straight corner was a huge issue).
The team also replaced the trims done by previous contractors and then painted the entire area. John and his team reviewed the area with us and we pointed out a few things that we thought could be better, John didn't ask any question or complain about cost like other contractors, they took full responsibility and quickly fixed those small spots.
We were so impressed with their work and their attitude that we asked them to just take on the rest of the house while we were on vacation.
WE CAME BACK TO OUR DREAM HOME! The ceiling is smooth like silk, the corners were straight, the trims were done perfectly, the lighting was totally installed and working. Our house was cleaned. It was finally done after 8 months of mess... I had tears in my eyes when I walked in with my husband and two very young children. It is HOME finally.
John and his team are reliable, honorable, they follow the job through (came back to touch up in many occasions, no questions asked) and most of all, they don't give empty promises.
We would be more than happy to recommend Oborne Contracting to anyone we know.
Oborne does it again - fantastic experience!
Sheri & Scott - Riverdale Jan 27, 2009
- We purchased a house in desperate need of an update from top to bottom and wanted it completed before the arrival of our first child. John, Georgia and his crew turned what could have been a horribly stressful undertaking, into an absolute pleasure.
John and Georgia worked with us from the moment we took possession, improving and bringing life to our rough ideas. John’s quote was extremely detailed and dead on. Knowing we had budget and schedule constraints, he worked to find solutions to meet those and provided regular updates to alleviate our worries and avoid any surprises.
They worked tirelessly to finish before our baby was born (even though we added substantial amounts to the original work order). The workmanship is fantastic; John is extremely particular! His crew was outstanding. Always on time, very friendly and ensured the site was clean and orderly at the end of the day. They even spoke to the neighbors ahead of time when they needed to work weekends. That's right, weekends!
Georgia's design & bathroom/kitchen layout suggestions were absolutely brilliant and has made our kitchen/bathroom/fireplace the envy of all our friends. Both John and Georgia were a lot of fun to work with.
John and team are the ultimate professionals. Very flexible, personable and dedicated to ensuring the job is done right and the client is happy. We highly recommend Oborne to all our friends and family.
We love our new home and look forward to working with John and Georgia again and again.
Basement and Electrical
Basement and Electrical
Trinity Bellwoods - Apr 11, 2008
- We have hired John on two separate occasions to do work at our home. The first was to upgrade the electrical and build a great closet and window seat in the master bedroom, we were working with very tight time constraints between taking possession and moving in and John and his trades were pleasant, efficient and right on schedule. We have since hired John to do a complete basement renovation that included lowering the floor, rebuilding the back walkout, underpinning and waterproofing as well as all of the finishing work. We are very pleased with the results.
I think that there are a few things about John that set him apart from others in this business. One of the key things is transparency, John will give you a very detailed quote explaining both how and how much it will cost to complete the job and he does a great job of sticking to it and also explaining up front the costs associated with making changes\upgrades on the go. He has assembled an excellent group of trades that are very likely the best in the business, for example his lead electrician trains the inspectors that work for Hydro, what more could you ask?
One final point is that John responds to his customers in an extremely timely manner, often in fact before I would have completed my voicemail. John takes great pride in his work and his workers and in maintaining a great relationship with his clients long after his obligation to do so have passed. We had an emergency plumbing issue in our basement (self created I may add) and John responded on a Sunday afternoon and did everything in his power to help us rectify the matter, which it was.
We will indeed be using Oborne again in the future.
I had my basement waterproofed and a separate entrance to my basement created.
John Oborne is one of the finest, most ethical contractors I have ever worked with and I have had a great deal of experience with home renovations.
Elaine Bald - East York Mar 03, 2008
This involved extensive work inside and outside the house. Leaking had created a mold situation in the basement which had remained unnoticed thus, a multitude of problems followed. My rental property in Toronto needed waterproofing and a separate entrance created for the basement. John did an exceptional job - the finished product is terrific. He kept within budget - dealt with the city - left a clean tidy worksite and took a load of worry off my back since I live out of the city. His attitude was great - obliging to my neighbors - considerate to my tenants.
I was more than pleased. Great work!
Kitchen and Bathroom Renovations
First Class Project Management
Gordon & Gail - Thornhill Sep 14, 2007
- On 3 separate occasions John has done renovation work in our home work which included a complete new kitchen. The workmanship was excellent. We were aware that, on each project, he and his crew made a particular effort to contain dust, debris and confusion to the work area. I am a retired engineer having spent my entire career in building construction. Simply put, I'm pleased to recommend Oborne Contracting unequivocally.
Complete Renovation of Older Home
Doing the Impossible: Creative, Professional, On Time & On Budget.
Darrell from Burlington - Sep 12, 2007
- I want to thank John and his crew of true professionals for providing us with a renovated home that we are so proud of and our friends rave about.
Work performed: New en suite bathroom, new kitchen, new powder room, new electrical throughout the house, new built-in master suite closets, new laundry room, new built-ins and mouldings/trim.
John (the owner) is very good at communicating the day to day activities and kept us posted on their progress. They completed this renovation on time and ON BUDGET with minimum impact to our daily lives - the house was spotless each and every evening.
The trade professionals were courteous and understanding of our needs. Their carpentry work is second to none. Through John's knowledge and skill, they were able to integrate new millwork and moldings into the existing work keeping the integrity of the original home with added modern convenience.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !
Basement renovation, Master Bath and Second Floor Bath
5 Stars for John!
Darby and Colin - Toronto Sep 06, 2007
- John Oborne is an absolute pleasure to work with. He is conscientious, meticulous and trustworthy. The three biggest concerns of clients are time, budget and quality. John has consistently delivered our jobs on time, on budget and the quality is outstanding. John has demonstrated time and time again that he has the client’s best interests at heart. While he will try to save you money whenever possible, he never sacrifices quality.
We highly recommend him.
Third Floor and Bedroom Renovation
Oborne contracting is among the best in the business!
Chris from the Beach - Aug 25, 2007
- We chose John based on several references of past customers, his portfolio of work, and quality of workmanship. We were not disappointed. The crew was always on time, always left the site in clean condition and made what could have been a very disruptive process bearable. The quality of the renovation and final finish is excellent. John always had a fresh idea of how to solve any problem and explained the whole process in detail. He was amazing to work with and we felt that we got the best result in the end that we could have hoped for. Three years later our renovation still looks great.
I would not hesitate to recommend John to anyone. On time, on budget and a pleasure to work with - what more can you ask for?
Best in the City!
Rossana & John - Aug 20, 2007
- John Oborne is the city's best for home renovations! He renovated almost our whole house - floors, walls, ceilings, kitchen, and bedrooms. He is always honest and dependable, always on time, and always on budget. The results were exactly what we hoped for.
We recommend him highly!
Condo Renovation, Home Repair, Custom Cabinets
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed Every Time!
Chris from Toronto -9835 Aug 20, 2007
- Absolutely fantastic in every respect. I have had John do 6 different jobs for me over the years starting with a complete renovation of my condo to custom cabinet work in my new home. Oborne Contracting provided us with excellent service, was extremely friendly, proactive with ideas, very responsive to requests/questions and reasonably priced. What more can you ask for - I am 100% confident in recommending John to other people including friends and family. John has made my experience with home renovation very enjoyable - especially when I compare it to what I hear from others.
Full stop - I would never go anywhere else for contracting work.
Complete Renovation of One Bedroom Apartment
Oborne to the rescue!!!
Mary Ann from Pape & Danforth - Jul 25, 2007
- My project involved the complete renovation of a one bedroom apartment including kitchen, dining room, living room, basement and decks. My challenge was that my first contractor had gutted the place and then deserted me. Then I found John... John and his team possess a commitment to excellence and customer service that surpasses most. Organized, communicative, no question is too small; everyone on John's team will take the time to listen and try to come up with the best solution to fix any issue. As a homeowner in the midst of a home renovation you can put your confidence in Oborne Contracting and be at ease.
They are a pleasure to work with!
John is the best by far!
Gerry in Markham - Sep 21, 2008
- From the detailed quote to the end of the job, John and his crew are the best. We had our house completely re-done from top to bottom, interior and exterior. Words can't explain how we felt about the house and Oborne Contracting. Our House was a very older layout. We opened up all the rooms on the main floor to create a open concept, finished the basement, updated the kitchen, landscaped the yard and installed a pool. John helped us do it all TALK ABOUT YOUR ONE STOP SHOP.
Thanks Again John for making our dreams reality!
With Oborne Contracting, you can't go wrong!
Tanis - from Toronto Jul 25, 2007
- In short, I'm EXTREMELY happy with John Oborne Contractors. After receiving many quotes from other contractors, I was very happy with the quote I recieved from John (for the work he was willing to do). In a very short period of time, my basement was complete (right on schedule) and looks better than I could have ever imagined. He took the time to see my vision, and provided some useful tips to make the project a success. I would call john constantly to ask him questions and never once did he sound annoyed with my paranoia. He was always available to help.
I'm looking forward to the new addition to my house that I've recently hired him to do, along with the new deck. I would recommend John to anyone, and I don't think I will use another contractor other then him moving forward.
John, if you are reading this, THANKS.
Entire Home Renovation
John Oborne a Diamond in the Rough!
Tony - from Roncesvalles Village Jun 30, 2007
- A well deserved 5 stars for Oborne Contracting! John Oborne and his crew renovated our entire 115 year old home. John's attention to detail and drive for perfection created a truly stunning home. John went over-the-top to ensure that we were staying within budget and meticulously detailed any change orders that we requested.
We highly recommend John to all our friends and look forward to working with him again on any future projects that we have.